Pages

Applique Attempt ...

Saturday, January 1, 2011

So this is my first "real" attempt at applique. While I certainly won't be winning any Applique Masters awards, I think it turned out OK .. if you can look passed the wonky antler bits that is.


Now that I'm looking at it ... I probably should have chosen something with a few less tight turns. But honestly, that's just kinda how I do things. I'm not one to get skilled in the basics and progressing naturally. I'm more of a jump-right-into-the-fire kinda girl and learn as I go. Although usually at that point, I go back and try to figure out what I could have done better.



One of my resolutions for this year was to start trying things. I'm still fairly new to sewing and there is so much for me to learn but I tend to hold back for fear of failure. I've let that fear hold me back from so much in my life not just in sewing and this is my year to live boldly. Yes, I agree ... applique is a pretty mild step but at least it's a step in the right direction right?!

So here's to living boldly in 2011 and breaking out of my safe, little shell! I hope 2011 is just as life-changing for you as well.

By the way ... any tips my Applique Queen friends have to offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

What's next on my sewing scary list you ask .... making my own bias tape. EEK!

Happy 2011, friends!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a lovely job . . . I find applique to be very daunting!

Lola Pink Fabrics said...

Thank you for your kind words! I have been wanting to try it for quite some time and just couldn't bring myself to actually do it. I definitely need a lot of practice but it was fun and it feels good to cross something off my scary list!

Kristina Grum said...

I think it looks great! I haven't attempted it yet but should. I am too busy sewing everything else!

Patricia Lessell said...

It looks great. I'm just trying my first, well second really because I threw the first one away, appliqué only this time by hand instead of machine and my next scary one is going to be the same as your 2nd scary one. I wish us both luck.
Love
Patricia xxx

Lola Pink Fabrics said...

Thank y'all so much for your sweet comments! I started not to blog about it due to its less than perfect appearance but decided to go ahead anyway. I finally decided that it's OK to be less than perfect as long as I'm actually putting myself out there and trying new stuff. Who knows ... with practice I just might perfect it!

Kristina Grum said...

Honestly, I love seeing people's less than perfect because it helps me learn. But really? I can't see anything wrong with it!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hello Janet - I sent you a message on your website, but then found your blog here. You are the winner of the signed copy of Tender Graces. Let me know where to mail it! And thank you for your support.

Your comment reads that you are from Louisiana ... what part? TG is set in WVA and So Louisiana, so that should be fun for you, I hope.

K

The Hip Hostess said...

Wow, nice job! I'm with you, I need to try new things and would love to learn to applique.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails